Sunday, May 15, 2011

The Fence Listener

I like fences. I'm no expert in fenceology, but I've met many in my life and I have had words with more than a few.

And I'm here to tell you that it doesn't matter what fences are made of or how sturdy or rickety they are, they all have something in common. Even at their smallest or biggest, shortest or tallest: none of them seem to be able to decide on their own if they're keeping things out... or keeping things in.

Here's another sweet thing about fences: the simple words "I'm on the fence on that one" is a cool strategic move. The view's nice, the air's a bit clearer and you're out of the mud. Not only can you listen to both sides from up there, you are allowed to yell rude things down.

Fences are wonderful things. They make good neighbors. They keep the riff-raff out and the good stuff in. And they are a slim margin of neutrality in an increasingly opinionated world.

Hug a fence today. Watch for the splinters and sharp bits.

4 comments: