Thursday, May 26, 2011

Where Bad Thoughts Go

I know I'm going to evoke the wrath of the recycle police, but I must admit I throw out a couple hundred thoughts every day. I love to crumple them up and unceremoniously chuck 'em into the trash can. They are then picked up by the city every Monday and are gone. Somewhere out there, there is a toxic dump composed entirely of my discarded thoughts. My apologies to the environment. And to those living downwind.

If a thought doesn't help, or comes between two good thoughts that belong together: they're toast. Sometimes when I'm working I discard thoughts even before they halfway hit the light of day. And other times I'll do stuff and the next morning I'll wake up and want to deep-six it, saying to myself, "What the heck was I thinking?" (This includes yesterday's post... and perhaps, tomorrow – today's. lol)

In this toxic thought dump there are negative thoughts, thoughts that make you think it is okay to eat that three-day-old cold pizza from the fridge before you go to bed and thoughts that make you think too much. There are half-thoughts that go nowhere, mean thoughts and hasty thoughts. These are thoughts that clutter up your brain. You can't even give them away. You don't even want people to know you had them.

In my defense, I am not indiscriminate in my thought chucking. I do take care about which ones I turf. Because sure enough, if I accidentally throw out a good thought, I'll probably need it tomorrow...

10 comments:

  1. A self-important account exec used to think she was really special when she got an idea. I said ideas are cheap. I have lots of them. On the other hand, if I had an art slave, maybe some of those ideas would be worth pursuing?

    I like the idea of elves making fast food. Sure beats the idea of pimply teenagers back there :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't you just hate that? Haha. Art slave... hmmm...

    And for those of you who don't regularly follow Linda's posts, she often reviews and comments on more than one post. She's allowed. I gave her a permit. Her second para relates back to the drive-thru post. And I agree. Thanks Linda :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The trick is to pitch those negative thoughts and make sure the cat doesn't drag them back!
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  4. Then we'd have to exclaim, 'Geez, look what the cat dragged in.' And because cats need to preen and be scratched behind the ears when they bring dead things in to their masters to admire, we'd have to scratch and praise, and who knows but that thought we chucked out might be back for good. And with a bad thought lying around, who know what disasters we might create!

    Guess that's why I don't have a cat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're right LM. Definitely don't want dead bad thoughts lying around. Health hazard. You might trip on them...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Somebody has to prepare the ground for future thought thinkers. Good job Rand!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad I wasn't speaking in tongues here Kristy (inside joke)... :o) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I need to be reminded that I have to stop putting those negative thoughts in the recycling bin... and also stop looking in the rear-view-mirror... that too can be bad - oh and also... remember to throw out the photocopies that have been made of the bad thoughts... because when you sort through stuff... you find them again too! Whew.... Crazy... :D I think it is time to stop thinking now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those are some mighty good thoughts you just had there WW!

    ReplyDelete