Friday, September 23, 2011

Off On A Tangent

Sometimes it's nice to get back to some pure poop. Design can get so complex at times. Like life. The hardest thing to do is something clean and simple. Something that looks like it belongs on paper.

I don't know whether you'll get off on this or not, but an interesting logo development project for a friend's new venture (can't go into it – sworn to secrecy) led to an exploration of type, shape, format and color. We took our time. We explored different fonts, formations and mathematical relationships of circles (that I didn't quite understand but my friend did). What matters is when the design is completed all components work together to convey an appropriate and unique personality.

Design-wise, the process took me back to the basics. Make sure it works in black and white, reversed, on color and dropped out of a color. Let it breathe. Canada flag red seemed appropriate for a hot new enterprise and has stuck... for now. Keep it simple and give the graphic the ability to blossom in later collateral.

We're still tinkering. Hopefully it's nothing to do with more mathematics although I'm afraid it does. lol Thanks to Daniel for the nice collaboration.

Have a happy weekend everyone! (In spite of it all :o)

2 comments:

  1. The beauty of what comes out of mathematics always amazes me. One of our profs has submitted some of the neatest images for the calendar we produce.

    Like this:
    https://blogs.dal.ca/science/files/2011/04/kolokolnikov-sphere-sm.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  2. When my book cover was being designed I said "clean, uncluttered, simple and will stand out"-that was the whole conversation-this was the result:
    https://www.ebookit.com/books/0000001007/A-Social-Media-Primer.html

    Looks similar :-). I do love the look even if I don't understand your friends math/circle connection.

    ReplyDelete