Friday, September 16, 2011

I'm Fine Thinking Inside My Box, Thank You

"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it." – Terry Prachett  

I have a box. I fill it with stuff. You have one too. Sometimes I put stuff from my box into yours and sometimes you put stuff from your box into mine. I do all my best thinking in there.

If, for some reason, I'm not happy with my box and the thinking I'm doing inside of it – I'll renovate. It's my box after all. I own it free and clear. I can move my box, downsize my box, expand my box, and/or redecorate my box. Why on earth would I want to leave it in order to think, just because someone says I should?

The wise amongst us know that it's not really about the box at all. It's about what we fill it with. Hopes, dreams, wisdom, life's lessons, facts, loves, memories, worries, happy thoughts, favorite food thoughts, wishes and bad hair day thoughts. What we choose to have in our box gives us perspective. And perspective gives us maturity and independent thought. It's our unique point of view. (Even if it is wacky at times.)

So to those of you who think I should think outside my box: go away. Just go away. You don't know my box. You're so cliché.

Maybe your box could use some freshening up. Just saying.

5 comments:

  1. Excellent point of view. I could'nt agree more. As a matter of fact I shall say that this is pure “thinking outside the box”... just teasing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well said, Rand. Sometimes those cliches get my goat - oops, there's another one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. lord help me I'm surrounded by comedians lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to know how some of my stuff got put into your box?! I think I'm going to have to defend the perimeter of my box much better in the future. On the other hand, if some of your stuff got into my box, I think I'll opt for the paper making machine. I can never have enough paper.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So that's where some of my stuff went... And btw, I think you think just fine in your box so I don't have to go away. : )

    ReplyDelete