Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Some People Have Epiphanies - Some Go Boom

"Gratitude bestows reverence, allowing us to encounter everyday epiphanies, those transcendent moments of awe that change forever how we experience life and the world." ~ John Milton

A typical lightning bolt contains a billion volts and contains a current of between 10,000 to 200,000 amperes. That's about enough energy to light a 100 watt light bulb (of the old variety) for 3 months. I know this, not because I'm a brainiac, but because I looked it up.

And when a person such as I, who rarely thinks they can learn anything new, gets a sudden understanding about something, it's so unexpected it hits like lightening. Some have epiphanies. I go "BOOM" – there goes the brain. I estimate the one I had this week is probably worth about 8 months of energy because I'm a low-light 40 watt guy. Age makes one appreciate energy savings more effectively than any conservation, green-earth pleas. Got an energy crisis? Give everyone ugliness. They'll turn off lights like crazy. But I digress.

Epiphany (from the ancient Greek epiphaneia, "manifestation, striking appearance") is an enlightening realization that allows a situation to be understood from a new and deeper perspective. Sounds pretty poetic... romantic, like a candle lit in a dark room. Often they are triggered by a new piece of information, which when added to prior knowledge allows a leap of understanding. Like Archimedes's discovery of a method to determine the density of an object and Newton's falling apple thing. I didn't shout "Eureka!" or "Hey!" or anything like that. I'm much more of a "WHATTHEHELLWASTHAT?" man. Because I don't tend to have candles lit in dark rooms. I get thermonuclear-grade bad hair days.

So I'm not going to tell you what led up to my big boom. It's not important. What's important is that I had one. And because it takes me a while to recover I only allow myself one per year. So I've had mine for this year. And I won't get another until 2014 now. So check back then.

Or just watch for the mushroom cloud on the horizon.

4 comments:

  1. Dear Boomy, are you saying that for at least 4 months we can roast hot dogs over you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. And roasted marshmallows for dessert?

    If you're a 40 watt low-light kind of guy, it means my roasted marshmallows will be perfect: they'll never burn but turn that gorgeous, gooey gold.

    S'mores, anyone?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't know why but these days I identify with "toast on a stick"! lol

      Delete