Saturday, November 9, 2013

It's A Dog's World

“You can say any fool thing to a dog and the dog will just give you this look that says, 'My GOSH, you're RIGHT! I NEVER would've thought of that!” ~ Dave Barry

Ever since the popularity of C. M. Coolidge's dogs playing poker (commissioned in 1903 by Brown & Bigelow to advertise cigars); we've been assigning human characteristics to them. It's called anthropomorphism and while some purists will scoff at the idea of attributing people personality traits to animals, in the case of dogs, it's perfectly proper. Because they have them. Anyone who has spent time eating an ice cream cone in front of one knows that.

Even if they don't play poker (it's not because they can't, of course, but because they don't want to) it's nice to know if they wanted to what it would look like. Without C.M. Coolidge's gifts to set the example we wouldn't have Snoopy's Red Baron fantasies. The Lady and the Tramp would have never shared a plate of spaghetti and Beethoven's antics would never have hit the big screen. Judy Garland would never have uttered those fateful words, "Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas any more." The movie Turner and Hooch would have been about the sad downward spiral of a man and his moonshine. Ten generations of Lassie descendents would have been out of work. Pavlov's dogs would never have salivated on demand.

And this post would probably not have been written. Some might say that would have been a good thing. But it got the Roscoe wag of approval. And he's the boss (around here anyway).

6 comments:

  1. I hate it when "experts" tell us that animals don't have human emotions. Is it human to feel love or fear? Idjits. My puppy tells me what she feels and wants all the time, and what she wants isn't always what I'd like her to want. If I was just anthropomorphizing, her emotions would be a lot more cooperative to my wants. Love your drawing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your drawing is something I should post at work :) It would be totally appropriate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. People are loving that PDF I have hung on my bulletin board along side some of Marie's original art work. It's a hoot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! That's great Lynn Marie. A place of honour!

      Delete