Sunday, October 7, 2012

The Zen Of Nothing

"There is not enough time to do all the nothing we want to do." ~ Bill Watterson 
 
Nothing has always gotten such a bad rap. It's a word people use to denote things lacking importance, value, relevance, or significance.

Western philosophers have bitched back and forth over the centuries about whether the concept of "nothing" even existed. Parmenides argued that "nothing" cannot exist because for something to exist it must be real. Aristotle provided a work-around by stating "nothing" is a container in which objects can be placed.

Common man philosophers nowadays say that when you have nothing you have nothing left to lose (geez, that would make a really great song). It's a zen thing I suppose.

You may have something there when you're happy with nothing and everyone else aspires to have everything (and can't possibly). Truth is, there are huge benefits with having, being, or representing nothing. If you have nothing in your pockets and nothing to declare you whisk through airline security like nobody's business. If you are privy to nothing and witness nothing no one will ever call you to testify in court. If you normally have nothing to say people will stop and listen when you finally do. And if you have nothing in mind, at least you have lots of room should something happen along. When you have nothing on your agenda you have plenty of time to knock about and look around at stuff you probably wouldn't have noticed otherwise... then there are the naps you suddenly have time for.

So maybe there's more to nothing than we think. 

11 comments:

  1. I was standing on the corner
    On the corner of the street.
    I had nothing in my pockets.
    There was no kind of consolation.
    For the past few months,
    I've been trying to live carefully,
    Trying to maintain a silent mind.
    Now give me a taste of civilization.
    Preserve Me In Alcohol.

    - Allan Fraser SOCAN

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks LCS! And thanks to Allan for the touch of brilliance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the "next to nothing" best. That way I still have something, but not so much to get weighed down by it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (Linda joins Rand in the next to nothing category)

      Delete
  4. I have nothing to say ...............................................................................
    .............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................. Okay, so I do, This is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patricia enters the better than nothing category... :)

      Delete
  5. I hope you don't mind, but you are by far the coolest thing that popped up when I did a Google search for "nothing" images. So I swiped it and used it in my humble fashion blog, but I did link it here to you. If this is some sort of infringement, let me know and I won't post it tomorrow...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maricel, I'll take your making use of it as a compliment. Cheers

      Delete
    2. Huzzah! You can take a peek at the context in which I use it in tomorrow's post (blatant self-promotion intended). ;p

      Delete