Saturday, June 2, 2012

Notes I Should Have Left My Mother

Remember when you were little and it seemed everyone else in the whole world was bigger and smarter and better at stuff than you (except for babies)? It seemed you were battling just to keep up. And it was only natural to try to dodge nasty consequences of your actions and minimize damage. Sometimes you got away with something and sometimes they saw right through you. Whatever your batting average, it is likely at least some claims of innocence were successful and years later you get to an age where you wish you could set the record straight. Wipe the slate clean. There are millions of apologies I could probably write to my mother but I've picked three that are fairly representative.

These are the three that keep me up at night the most, suffering from with incalculable pangs of guilt. If I'd only stood up for the truth and said something at the time things might be better now. Like maybe those nasty wars in Iran and Afghanistan wouldn't have happened. Or maybe John Lennon would still be alive.

So Mom, if you're up there listening, which I'm sure you are because when you were alive you were able to see around corners and hear things through solid walls... sorry.

Can I have my allowance back now?

11 comments:

  1. Sounds like you were a charming child :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Never heard it expressed in quite that manner before. :)

      Delete
  2. Am definitely going to share this with my son!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps he'll pick up a tip or two. lol

      Delete
  3. I was with my mother in Montréal all last week, and I wish I had logged on to your blog while I was there. I would have loved to share this with her.

    Funny thing is, to our credit, we actually rehashed some old stuff and finally got it out of the way. It's so nice to be forgiven.

    And then we laughed at all things silly and humorous.

    ReplyDelete