Sunday, April 22, 2012

A Tool For Tools With Lots Of Pages


Maybe I'm a tool, but I don't want to make money from a few of the personal projects I do – I just want to share. And while I have fun here on the blog, I can't post multiple page documents here, just single images. Until now if I have a book to share I've been forced to print, advertise, process orders, figure out postage, collect money and truck on down to the post office (barefoot and in five feet of snow) to ship. Worse of all, I've had to charge in order to recoup my costs. So I've been looking around this wonderful online world for a way to share for free.

Last week, bless him, a colleague in England mentioned a site called Issuu. It allows you to take a multiple page PDF, upload, publish and share it. Free. You get one of those flip books like you've probably seen featured for e-readers. And you can download the file. Free.

It's like a tool for tools who want to share lots of pages.

So to test I uploaded. It's called The Thing About Things, a book I published a few years ago. You're welcome to have a look. Just click on the name.

(Note: early feedback reports that these don't appear to work on phones and tablets.)

What do you think?

4 comments:

  1. Awesome! I'm going to have to make time to read your book. I know what you mean about wanting to share some things just to share. Of course it's always nice to get paid for the stuff you want paid for too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful way to share the Thing about Things. I am thrilled that you have found a way to make it available to so many.

    I have to tell all the folks out there, I took it on a trip with me from Toronto to Montreal, and I was laughing so hard that a couple sitting behind me asked for the name of the stuff I was reading. I only wish I had their names, because I'd certainly insist on sharing it with them now.

    Sunshine Sketches, Rand style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind comments, Lynn Marie! I'm glad you found the Issuu site a good venue. Valuable feedback, fersure.

      Delete