Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Why Some Things Float

Ice cubes float in fruit juice as evidence that cool things float to the surface. Being nothing but frozen water they coolify all things that surround them. The magnanimous nature of ice cubes keeps them light hearted and this buoyancy raises them to the surface.

Of course, that doesn't explain Fruit Loops.

Fruit Loops float in milk simply because they are shaped like lifesavers with a hole in the middle. The force of gravity pushes down in the hole thereby elevating the cereal surrounding it. It's a pressure thing.

Unless you're a bubble. Then things are different...

Bubbles float in water for a very good reason. They aren't water. They hate water. And while both are made up of oxygen, the two are more like distant cousins that don't like each other. Bubbles can hang out with water but they make sure they're on top.

So if you float it's for one of three reasons: 1) You're cool, 2) You have a hole in the middle, or 3) You like it on top.

Hope this helps.

6 comments:

  1. Thank goodness you explained that, Rand. I was beginning to wonder how it could be that the people in my life who have a hole in the middle were making it to the top, floating above all else. Now I get it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I won't say it didn't take me a while to figure it out, Lynn Marie. I felt it my duty to pass it along... :o)

      Delete
  2. None of this helps. I go straight to the bottom like a 1949 Studebaker that's been tossed off a seaside cliff. The view isn't great from the bottom either. All those floaters drift away on their backsides.

    I've tried everything.I've used water wings, gassy foods, gassy beer, hammered, stone cold sober, my wife's dumplings (almost worked) big wide canoes (they sink, don't you know), and big stupid hats. The hats float around just as pretty as you please...nobody home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least you don't have to swim home. You can stroll at a leisurely pace... or take the Studebaker.

      Delete
  3. LOL I'm thinking the people filled with hot air are the ones who float the best. I have a sudden craving for Fruit Loops now...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to think that Linda. And then science kicked in. (That is not what your navel is for)

      Delete