Friday, August 26, 2011

The Evil Eye

If you've ever been lucky enough to welcome a dog into your home for any length of time, you know this look. It's the evil eye. It is intense as all get out and it can destroy. In this case it means "you better let me out or your rugs are in danger."

Destruction of carpets as a result of the evil eye appears to be limited to house pets (or really gross college roommates). When a human person passes on the "look", some say the results are more dire: bad luck, disease, wasting, death, or even worse when it's passed by a life partner – denial of sex.

Belief in the evil eye was rampant in antiquity. Socrates was suspected of possessing the evil eye. In the Greco-Roman era Plutarch's scientific explanation stated that the eyes were the chief source of the deadly rays that were supposed to spring up like poisoned darts from the inner recesses of a person possessing the evil eye. And the evil eye reportedly spread towards the east propagated by the Empire of Alexander the Great.

Today, some cultures still believe in its power. Amulets, talismans, protective sayings and gestures are all said to protect one from the evil eye's influence.

But there is no known protection from the canine version. So, I let the dog out. Even though I knew it was just the "I-go-out-turn-around-and-come-back-in-give-me-a-cookie" game. My carpets are safe. For now.

2 comments:

  1. My dog says "I love you I love you let me out let me out I love you come with me I love you aren't you coming with me?" Which is then followed by a noisy announcement to the varmints in the yard to scurry because she's about to go back on patrol. I should just leave her out there all the time to protect the tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Linda, you've obviously got a dog without the evil eye capability. I hear it's an accessory. Not sure if it's available aftermarket or not. :o)

    ReplyDelete