Monday, April 4, 2011

Caution: People Working

It was a working weekend at my home. New windows were installed and a new door was carved out of a wall in my dining room.

It was the best of times; it was the worst of times. Mostly it was cold. And dusty. And loud. And utterly inconvenient.

I know, I know: "Suck it up Barbie, you got new windows."

But get this – I was forced to witness people who actually work with their hands. They don't mind getting dirty and drive pick up trucks and work with large power tools that cut things and drill things and screw things. They work without the benefit of meetings, minutes of meetings, findings of committees, update memos or correspondence emails.

They use their both their brains and their muscles and don't take breaks at regular intervals. And they actually measure twice and cut once. They are both considerate and honest. What's more, they work until the job is done. And they do this everyday! For a living! Can you imagine?

But the most amazing thing about these people is that they work quite anonymously, without asking for fanfare, overt praise, nor press releases. They simply do their job and then take their leave quietly.

This is most disquieting. What if this should catch on? Why, it could be the ruining of the beautiful unscrupulous society we have nurtured for generations. Our beloved rapscallions, prima donnas and rascals may go out of vogue. What's more, it could utterly wreck the 'star system' of attention seekers the world over. This could be the end of self-love, for crying out loud sideways!

Watch out everyone, there are hard working people in our midst. Let us stay clear lest their goodness infects us all!

8 comments:

  1. This made me smile. My Dad was a bricklayer. He was tired, dirty and dusty every evening. But all of his handiwork was well done to the most meticulous detail - including the clean up after the job was done. He lived the ideal that if a job was worth doing, it was worth doing well. Dad was a skilled laborer and an artist - in a brick, stone and cement kind of way. More importantly, he was a good Dad and example for my brother and I.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for realizing I was kidding, El. Dad's are the greatest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is skilled labor for a reason. :)

    Can't wait to see how the new windows look.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post reminds me of the "A Ship" in the Hitchhikers Guide, where the "most important" people, like salesmen and marketing people, and fashion designers are sent away first to "colonise" the new planet in preparation for the others. I howled at the meeting they had about "water", where they couldn't make a decision about "what people really needed from water". Here's to all the "B Ship" folks who keep the world turning!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ali, I quite forgot about the windows... oh yes, that's how this all began, didn't it?

    Sel, good point. If I were six months younger I might just switch ships myself. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I spent an hour trying to replace my windshield wipers last weekend. Finally had to get the guy at the auto parts store to come out and help. Took him 30 seconds. Would trade a pithy David Ogilvy for a handy Tom Silva most days.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My thanks to sawyerspeaks and Patricia!

    ReplyDelete