Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Casting a Long Shadow

7:45 a.m. You don't really expect idioms to pop into your head while standing in minus double-digit temperatures with a pooper scooper in one hand and a baggie of poop in the other. At least I don't.

I do remember counting my blessings that there was very little wind to increase the chill and cause my eyes to water.

Then I realized the winter sun seemed more immediate somehow today. We hadn't had sun in a few days and perhaps it was more energetic because it had been resting behind the clouds for quite a while.

I happened to glance over into the next yard to where a large branch had fallen last autumn. Clean, early light shone brightly through the trees behind it, giving the unwanted branch more influence on it's surroundings, causing it to...  cast a long shadow.

There it was. Bold as brass. Completely unbidden. Astounding how that happens.


7 comments:

  1. The look of twisted spider legs at that hour is nearly as scary as the fact you thought of the words for that post at 7:45 AM!!! LOL!

    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never used that phrase in my life. I didn't even know what an idiom was until I got to work and looked it up... Maybe I dreamed the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well at least you got a "word picture" as concrete evidence! Hmmm, what if we could photograph our dreams...???? Hmmm, or do we already...???

    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  4. My daughter and I were chatting, just a few hours after I saw this picture and your post. She was telling me how sometimes something happens and she's in the middle of a cliché. Whatever it is that she's doing, the cliché describes it.

    I told her about casting a long shadow and we looked at your post together.

    Amazing how our thoughts tug together. Must be the moon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lynn Marie, really, subjecting your own daughter to this drivel! lol

    ReplyDelete