Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Storyboarding the Message

While looking though the archives I came across these two 30 second television spot storyboards: one for the Red Cross and the other for Health Canada/Family Service Canada.

The purpose of a storyboard is not to be a work of art (a good thing in my case) but to sketch out the concept, and to present how the audio and visual elements can work together to deliver the message. Once approved by the client, they are used to invigorate the production process from accessing talent, planning locations, lighting, prop and sound needs, and act as a script and a visual guide to shoot and edit through to the final product.

Kudos to mentors and team members Steve Williams, Stephen McGill and Michael Hicks, amongst many, many others...

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I was looking online for a format for my storyboard when I came across your work. I love that your work is concept driven. I think thats the best part of advertising and sometimes it does take a back seat to technology and effects. After 4 years studying advertising I'm confident that it is where I belong but I'm having some difficulty putting my portfolio together. I was wondering about storyboards, nowadays can you use a sketch like that in a portfolio? Does everything need to be computer graphics? I took and altered photos, would that be ok for a storyboard? Thanks so much in advance, I really appreciate any advice you could give me.

    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jan, I've always found sketches work to tell the story without being too specific. But I'd investigate standards for companies you'd like to work with/for. Some used to employ storyboard artists for just this purpose. There may be those who use the illustrator program now for the sketching but I've always found the Pilot Fineliner, and a scanner my best friends. Whether you can use altered photos or not, I think would depend on the subject matter and whether the photos suit the purpose (?)

    Hope this helps. Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete